Benefits of Phosphatidylserine
Phosphatidylserine is a naturally occurring phospholipid that contains amino and fatty acids. It contains both Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids. This supplement has many positive benefits mostly involving brain health. Phosphatidylserine is thought to improve brain functionality and cognitive performance.
One of Phosphatidylserine’s most important functions is that it increases the number of synapses found in the brain. More synapses means higher neuron functionality and improved communication between your brain cells.
Some general benefits of Phosphatidylserine include:
- Increases the production and release of choline and dopamine.
- Positive influence on memory recall.
- Increased learning capacity.
- Improves attention span and increases your ability to focus.
- Moderately relieves stress.
- Helps lessen some symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- It reduces age related memory problems.
- Increased dopamine helps balance your mood.
- Good for athletes and helps prevent muscle soreness.
- Boosts cell repair.
There are certain areas of our health where Phosphatidylserine can aid in an overall better quality of life. It can alleviate symptoms of anxiety and greatly enhance your memory. Phosphatidylserine is also used to treat ADD/ADHD. This supplement can also improve cortisol levels and it is a non-habit forming sleep aid.
Helps Relieve Some Symptoms of Anxiety
- Phosphatidylserine provides stress relief by regulating hormone levels in the brain.
- It is a great natural alternative to harsh anti-anxiety medications.
- Anxiety causes an increase of cortisol and Phosphatidylserine will target and eliminate this excess cortisol.
- Phosphatidylserine contains choline and its product acetylcholine; both of them reduce stress.
- It is an overall mood lifter, which helps to offset the negative feelings of anxiety.
- One of Phosphatidylserine’s best uses is for memory enhancement.
- In healthy individuals, it can heighten memory performance.
- In people with Alzheimer’s, Phosphatidylserine may help to reduce some of the disease’s symptoms.
- Patients with Alzheimer’s have lower levels of acetylcholine and Phosphatidylserine increases acetylcholine.
- It may help improve Alzheimer’s patients’ ability to recall old and new information.
- Phosphatidylserine can enhance cognitive functions such as reasoning, learning, and concentration.
- It helps keep your brain healthier for longer and slows down the negative effects of aging on the brain.
- It helps keep brain cells healthy and fluid, prolonging their ability to effectively communicate with one another.
- Phosphatidylserine increases neuroplasticity, which helps with memory functionality.
- It improves your brain’s ability to form synapses and it enhances your brain’s ability to store memories.
Helps to Control ADD/ADHD
- Phosphatidylserine is often used as a safer alternative to Ritalin and Adderall.
- Though it won’t eliminate all symptoms of ADD/ADHD on its own, Phosphatidylserine will help lessen the extent of ADD/ADHD.
- It helps to improve focus, which is the number one problem for those with ADD/ADHD.
- It reduces stress, which often accompanies episodes of ADD/ADHD.
- It helps those with ADD/ADHD better regulate their energy.
- Phosphatidylserine can reduce hyperactivity and keep patient’s mood balanced.
- It also boosts cognitive clarity, which will help ADD/ADHD sufferers in school.
- Another way Phosphatidylserine enhances school performance is by enhancing memory.
- Learning becomes easier for children with ADD/ADHD because Phosphatidylserine reduces hyperactivity and disruptive behavior.
- Since Phosphatidylserine reduces cortisol, it helps keep the anxiety and erratic energy spikes of ADD/ADHD patient’s in check.
Helps Regulate Cortisol Levels
- Cortisol in regular amounts in our bodies helps us to make better short term decisions in response to external stimuli.
- However, too much cortisol can wreak havoc in our bodies.
- Excess cortisol can cause mood disturbances, increase symptoms of anxiety, disrupt normal sleep patterns, cause weight gain, and damage your body’s cells.
- Production of excess cortisol also puts people at greater risk for high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Phosphatidylserine is one of the most effective cortisol blockers.
- It can significantly reduce the amount of cortisol in the body and offset a lot of the negative effects of excess cortisol.
- It helps improve your mood, which will help to rebalance your sleep schedule.
- Since Phosphatidylserine lowers cortisol, it helps reduce cholesterol and promotes weight loss.
- Though exercising is good, it releases a large amount of cortisol.
- Phosphatidylserine is great for helping to keep cortisol level in check and it will benefit anyone trying to lose weight.
It Can Be Used As a Sleep Aid
- Insomnia is a side effect of negative body and mental conditions.
- Sleeplessness is often the result of increased stress and anxiety.
- When we’re stressed, our bodies release more cortisol, which keeps our minds wide awake at night.
- Phosphatidylserine helps to regulate the chemical causes of stress.
- Increased levels of Phosphatidylserine help to relax you and put your mind at ease.
- It helps regulate our metabolism and reduce excess cortisol, which helps to restore the body’s normal sleep functions.
- Phosphatidylserine also increases choline, which provides greater mental clarity.
- Having a clear mind helps ease restlessness when it’s time to sleep.
- An increase in Phosphatidylserine may also improve REM sleep, making you feel more rested.
Phosphatidylserine has many great benefits, especially when it comes to regulating hormones that affect our daily mental functions. With increased levels of Phosphatidylserine, we are able to live a more balanced and peaceful life.